I’m hooked on Chain of Command. I haven’t played a game in quite a long time that I want to play again as much as this one. I’ve been trying to beat my friend’s German PanzerGrenadiers with Soviet infantry and getting creamed every time and still want to play again. It’s a great game, with great concepts, and very addictive.
So, I want to do Stalingrad with it, and I’ve started working on some stuff. Here’s an experiment for an urban German jumping off point.
So, I’m not sure I actually want a figure on the jumping off point, but maybe. This allowed me to experiment with a bunch of stuff though.
First, the figure. I wanted to have a bash at what Field Gray should look like. This was a figure I wasn’t really planning to use for anything else so I picked it. I think it’s by Crusader. Nice sculpting but I’m not quite sure what he’s supposed to be. He seems to be an officer but there are no shoulder boards. So I thought maybe it’s supposed to be the reed green fatigue uniform, but that didn’t have pockets, I don’t think. So, not sure. But the Field Gray looks good I think. It’s from the Andrea Paint Set for Field Gray. There are 6 bottles of paint. I think that will allow me to do two different triads of slightly different tones of Field Gray and that will work out fine. I can make up a third set from Vallejos to get a more yellowish green version also. Sounds like good variety in field gray.
Second, some terrain stuff. I got the rubble from Precision Model Designs. I think it was part of one of their sets. I’m not that excited about their stuff, but the rubble worked out nicely. I painted it with Foundry terracotta and then dragged a little bit of Citadel Longbeard Gray and it produced a nice brick color.
I’m not that keen on the ground cover though. It works pretty well for units I do for other stuff but doesn’t have enough texture for a base like this. Next time I’ll just build up the base and then cover it with sand.
I spread some Citadel Astrogranite on and around the bricks and then highlighted that with Longbeard gray and that gave a nice effect of mortar patches still stuck to the bricks.
Third, and what I’m most pleased with, the weathering.
I used some weathering effects that are normally used on tanks to weather both the officer and the bricks. It turned out splendidly I think. It’s not very much additional work and gives a result to the figure of a having spent a fair bit of time in the dust and dirt. I used the enamel washes from AK Interactive and dabbed on a little additional acrylic paint for concentrated dust in a few places. I’ll be doing that for all these guys.