And here are some Venetian knights. Well, they are mostly generic late medieval knights, but a few of them have flags that are appropriate to Venice. Other than that, there is nothing particularly Venetian about them.
These are all Perry plastic figures from their mounted men-at-arms box. This group has lances held upright. You can set them up to be like this, or charging, or at an angle in between.
The flag is a Venetian flag by Pete’s flags. You can find them in his ebay store (ebay.co.uk). They are printed on cloth and extremely nice.
I have a bunch of Perry plastics. You’ll be seeing more pics of them as soldiers for this army. The mounted men-at-arms box is my least favorite. I have two main gripes: 1) the riders don’t sit the horses well. This is particularly true of the rider with the tabard, but I’ve been surprised how many of the riders have come off while I’m painting them for me to find there was barely a touch point for the glue. In that case I just use super glue to put them back on, liberally applied. 2) the horses have a nasty, very nasty, seam down the middle of their rumps in back. I tried several ways to deal with this, and finally have settled on using tamiya putty to fill the crack. I put it on liberally and then smooth it with plastic cement. I still have to do it twice on some of the horses – I prime it, take a good look at it, sand it, and if that doesn’t work apply more putty.
The end result is nice. Here’s the second group:
I built this group with various hand weapons. I quite like the ones with the swords extended, but they are all nice. Again Pete’s flags. The one on the left is again the flag of Sigismondo Malatesta. In ADLG you can include or not your generals in the units. If he’s included in a unit, I’ll use this stand for him. If not, I’ll use the command stand pictured in the previous post.
I painted these horses using a rif on the oil-rubbing method, and techniques for weathering afvs. In the oil rubbing method you put on a coat of oil paint, let it sit for awhile, then rub it off with a sponge or bath tissue or an old t-shirt or something. I put on a much thinner coat of paint, then took it off from the highlights by running a brush wetted down with mineral spirits. You get a lot of control that way and it’s still pretty easy.
And lastly, here is half of my camp stand for them, for ADLG. Again, these would fit in any late medieval army. In ADLG you put your camp on a 60×120, but can go larger if you want to be “artistic.” I’m putting two 60×80 bases together for mine. This is one of them, the cardinals and priests. This is a Perry metal set. I painted it like the example on their website.