Monthly Archives: February 2016

Indus Miniatures Elephants

These are gorgeous.  I didn’t think I could do them justice in terms of painting so I hired Scott Morris to paint them for me.  He did a fantastic job, don’t you think?

IMG_4105.JPG

I need some elephants for my central asian armies.  These are beautiful figures.  It will take me a little bit to paint the riders for them, but I went ahead and glued them to their bases.

Here’s the other side:

IMG_4107.JPG

I thought I only needed two of them.  Now I think I need a third!  When figures are this gorgeous, you think you could use even more of them, don’t you?

 

Sassanid camp for ADLG

This camp is not an original idea from me.  I snagged it from this guy who not only had the idea originally but executed it far better than I did (Better Original Idea).  But it’s a great idea, so I scaled it down to use from my Sassanid camp for ADLG.  In ADLG you need a camp.  The size is pretty small and these two stands make a camp that’s a little larger than the ADLG spec.  But it gave me a little more room to put something characterful in the camp.

IMG_4111.JPG

The figures on the left are from Baueda.  I put a face covering on using green stuff to make him an appropriate Zoroastrian priest.  The figures in the stand on the right are from Aventine.   They are a great figure set.  I created two stands so I can use the Zoroastrian in other armies.

IMG_4114.JPG

I took some time to put a nice pattern on the Sassanid king and now I’m wishing I had put that kind of effort into my original Sassanid armies.  Surely I’ll not do a new Sassanid army just to make them look better?  Surely not.  I am starting on some Central Asian forces using the Aventine steppe nobles and Sogdians.  I’ll take the time to do that right.  I’m sure it will be time consuming, but I’m sure the figures will be beautiful when done that way too.

Also, camps can be fortified in ADLG.   I’m not sure what a fortified central asian camp would actually look like, but I got this waddle fencing set from Renedra and made these to surround my camp.  I need a couple more segments, but it was pretty easy to do.

IMG_4115.JPG

Do take a look at the website that inspired me to do this and be amazed at what an excellent job he did.

 

 

French WW1 platoon begins

I’ve started working on a WW1 French platoon for Chain of Command.  The figures are by Woodbine Designs.  I have a few more figures done than these command figures, but here they are.

 

IMG_4109.JPG

Actually I think the officer (the guy with the pistol and cap) is an old Artizan figure that was in my figure pile.  The Woodbine figures come with separate heads so you can make them to be a lot of different things.  Initially I thought I’d make them as legere for the beginning of Verdun, but the helmets have grenades rather than hunting horns, and I decided for the beginning of Verdun the figures should have a lot of extra skins and stuff to keep them warm.  So I repurposed these for mid summer as regular line infantry.

I haven’t figured out what to do about the guys carrying V-B launchers.  I imagine I’ll just use some plastic tubing on the end of the rifles from these figures.  Brigade Games makes appropriate figures but they are in full packs and the Woodbine ones are in light kit.  I’d like them all to be the same I guess.

 

Kallistra Lakes

 

I picked up some non-hex terrain features from Kallistra (website).  I picked up the brown crater set and the brown lake set and intend to finish them myself.  You can get them that are already flocked and those do look nice, but I was hoping to make them fit in better with what I already have.  I’ve finished the two smaller lakes for use in our ancients gaming.  I don’t think I’ll have much use for impassable terrain, but someone might want some, and it looks better than naked felt.  Here they are.

 

 

They are cast plastic in brown which is a perfect source material for what I wanted to make.  I finished them by doing a few steps.  First, I painted what would become the deepest part of the ponds black, then painted around the edges with khaki drab (I used Tamiya paints through my airbrush, but I imagine brushed on would look fine).  I then covered the edges with ballast and painted that with cel-vinyl wood grey and highlighted with Foundry Canvas A and base sand B.  That’s what I use for all my non-desert bases and that combination blends pretty well with my gaming mat (from the non sadly non longer available Terrain Guy).  I then filled the water part of the pond with Woodland Scenics realistic water (that’s a great product and very easy to use).  In the pic on the right I did not let it go up on the gravel and on the one on the left I let it do that.  I prefer the one on the right in terms of overall look.  Finally I put a flock mix from the terrain guy (he sent me a container of it way back when and while it’s supposed to blend with his terrain mat I think it’s a bit too dark green).

I’m very pleased with the final result.

I also have the crater sets which will be great for no-man’s land in WW1 games.  I’ll give them the same treatment, but they are quite a bit larger so it will take me awhile.

I live in the US and bought direct from Kallistra and they are great to do business with.  Highly recommended.