Category Archives: CommissionFigurines

Urban ruin test piece

These are really nice!  I’ve been looking forward to getting my hands on the Commission Figurines 28mm ruins for a long time.  I finally got one this week and wasted no time doing some work on a test piece.

Image

I’m not entirely finished with it, but it’s off to a great start.  I took inspiration from 14th Brooklyn on making the interior into something believable.  I copied his lead by printing out some dollhouse floor patterns and glueing them to the base.  I used a different pattern for each of the two different rooms in the building.    I attempted painting some pattern on the wall.  While this is fine, it was a mistake.

Image

Blue and yellow vertical stripes in the bottom picture.  It looks even worse in real life.  If I were going to do that I should mask the lines and use an airbrush to get a nice finish, then go back and paint the brick sections.  Next time, I’ll just wallpaper over them with some dollhouse wallpaper patterns.  The floors look nice though, don’t you think?

These buildings are really nice.   The fit is tight.  It’s so tight in fact that I couldn’t get the walls quite down into their slots without carving out the slots a bit, and still there was a bit of a gap.  It was only on this section though – all the others seem to go together better.

Image

I intend to finish them a little more.  I’d like to add some rubble but I’m hesitating a bit about that as I don’t want to reduce the playability of the models too much.  There is some portable rubble that I can add to really rubble them up as should be.  I’m leaning to adding minimal rubble around the wall joins and in a couple of random places and using the portable rubble which we can remove during play.

My main concern with these buildings was whether I could hide the joins.  You can see the joins pretty clearly in the big picture of everything you get in this ruined building:

Image

If I can’t hide that, using these is a non-starter.  On my test piece there are only three joins, two horizontal and one vertical.  You can see in the pictures that those joins are completely covered.  I’m not sure the horizontal joins have the best strategic placement for hiding them but I guess it’s ok.  But, good news, with a little wood putty, sanding, and painting you can’t see them at all.  I’ll do a corner piece next to confirm that, but it should be no problem.

Image

I added a little more wood filler at random places to the front, sanded, then painted over, to give the surface some texture.  I think they look great.  The pictures are pretty awful – I really have to figure out how to take pictures that look like what I’m aiming at.

 

Advertisements